Sunday, January 14, 2007

Chapter 14:Cockroach Eating Isn't Only at Six Flags

After we pulled out of the Magic Kingdom parking lot, it was time to find a place to eat. We came to a conclusion on going to the Crossroads area to find something. The Crossroads is a shopping/eating area located just outside the WDW gate. I'd say the area is closest to Downtown Disney, as we passed it and Hotel Boulevard on our way there. The drive wasn't far at all, maybe 10 minutes tops, until we came to the light right outside the WDW gate. This thing just took forever. By the time we made it across the street (which is where the Crossroads is) it was another 10 minutes. So here's a tip...don't try to exit WDW through that gate...especially if it's near closing time. That light would just not move at all. Once inside, we checked the place out. They had more than quite a few places to eat, so it was going to be tough deciding on just one. We ended up deciding on Jungle Jim's, a tropical themed family restaurant near the end of the Crossroads strip. We had been there about 10 years ago, on my first WDW trip ever. I was little, maybe 3-4 or so, so I didn't remember anything about it. Anyway, the rest of the family decided it would be a good place to go for something to eat, so we tried it. Everyone was wiped out from our first day at the MK, and after a late night the night before, we all wanted to get a good night sleep. So, we parked the car, and headed into the truly jungle themed restaurant.

We walked inside and I noticed immediately how well themed it was...maybe a bit TOO well themed. It really looks like a jungle in there, full of green trees and blue waterfalls. The place seemed pretty popular, so hopefully this would be a good choice for the night. We were quickly seated upon coming in, and we walked through the very green restaurant towards a table in the back. We sat, relaxed after a long day, and checked out the menu. Everyone ordered quickly, i went with a buffalo chicken sandwich. While waiting for our food, I checked out my MK map and some of the brochures I begun collecting during the trip (I "collect" maps). I noticed that the WDW maps had been downsized since my trip in 2003, they went down to one single horizontal flap instead of two. Anyway, the maps are still very nice looking, I guess they didn't need all that extra space. So, that's what I did while I was waiting. However, let's fast forward to when the food gets here. It luckily didn't take that much time, maybe 20-25 minutes tops. Once our food was here, everyone dug in. My sandwich wasn't bad, I finished it pretty quickly. However, as soon as I did finish it, all I heard was "OMG"....and looked up.

There were two huge cockroaches climbing down the wall right beside me. They were on a mission, to capture my food! Well, the rest happened so fast. My mom and sister were out of there in an instant, my brother slowly behind. The cockroaches were still quickly gliding down the wall, looking to get a bite at my dinner. My dad and I waited a while, and I just watched them crawl down the wall in shock. Well, they don't call the place Jungle Jim's for nothing. Soon our waitress came around, and we showed her the nasty things climbing down the wall. She quickly apologized for the matter, and my dad and I made a quick exit. We left the place disgusted...it was a very spur of the moment kind of thing. While I at least got my sandwich down, which I didn't feel to good about now, some of the others didn't get to eat anything. Oh well...I guess this was a bad choice. I still can't get over that incident, and probably never will. Anyway, as you can see, I'm pretty speechless about the subject, so I'll say no more. However, I will give you a statement of advice...beware Cockroach Jim's...

After leaving, we met up with the others outside. Everyone just about had it for the day, and it ended on a pretty shocking note. Anyway, we headed back to the car, and made our way back to the hotel. The drive was about 20 minutes with no traffic. Before heading to the room we stopped at the Publix by our resort. We picked up a few items for the room, some sodas, snacks, etc..., and then made our way back to our room. Ah, how nice it felt to kick back and relax in our room. We all got ready for bed after a long day. I put on the Little league World Series and reflected about the day we just encountered...so here's a recap for those that are just joining us.

-Starting the day off at the resort's mini water park is awesome and relaxing
-Parking is expensive
-I love the Monorail
-The Magic Kingdom really wasn't crowded around midday, which is surprising for a hot summer day
-The new Pirates upgrade is a new, fresh addition to the attraction
-Big Thunder was wilder than I remember it
-Splash Mountain has the longest lines in the park
-The Haunted Mansion is a classic, but needs an upgrade
-it's a small world isn't for the faint of heart
-Mickey's PhilharMagic is the best 3-D show in the World
-Buzz Lightyear is fun yet incredibly hard for a beginner, yet with practice you will get better (trust me)
-The Tomorrowland Transit Authority is just freaking sweet. Most relaxing ride in WDW and one of the best for photos
-Space Mountain can NOT just go 28 MPH. Not possible.
-The Carousel of Progress simply doesn't get the respect it deserves.
-WDW popcorn is amazing...
-Beware Jungle Jim's...
-After a day at the park, it feels great to relax back at the room.

With that, I was out in no time. Tomorrow we would brave another park, the Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow...EPCOT, of course! EPCOT may be my favorite park of the four at WDW, it is very, very close. Anyway, and in hopefully the near future...the biggest Expedition Everest review ever. Well, that's enough for day 2. Good night, sweet dreams, and drive save. Day 3 is on the horizon.

No comments: